Thursday, May 13, 2010

A simple Sandwich and a Pesto Scape.


Inspired by something a friend mentioned.... did you see that article in the new york times on asparagus pesto? No. I hadn't. But I did have a ton of basil in my fridge that needed using. So. I busted out the cuisinart and got busy. Basil. Pine nuts raw garlic salt unfiltered olive oil and some pecorino. That was what I had intended. What I didn't intend to do was use too much olive oil and salt! So in an attempt to salvage my pesto. and without anymore basil or pine nuts.. I rummaged through the fridge and found walnuts! why not. So in they went. but it was not enough... I remembered the mention of asparagus pesto. and had just bought some farm fresh asparagus! I broke off the woody ends and threw the raw asparagus into the cuisinart until they mellowed out the salt/olive oil overload. a little lemon juice.. And it was.... SALMMIN'. an interesting taste. freshie. nice. nutty. In went the crackers and a dip was born! Today I spread it all over sourdough and melted gouda on the other side. Tomato. and we have lift off!!! check out the asparagus pesto recipe in the times - its not this -but looks awesome. Better yet make up your own! Have no fear. The great thing about pesto is you blend and taste and blend and taste till you get something great!!!

1 comment:

  1. You know what's even more amazing? Using mint instead of basil. It gives it such a kick!

    ReplyDelete